Monday, April 17, 2006

Hanging out Hanging on

My wife wanted me to hear a writing project for one of her classes, it was a story of her childhood. In the story she was ten and had been playing with her cousin, Tara, and Tara's friend Ande. They walk up on the neighborhood boys on a go-cart. The driver is attempting to throw the passenger off as they careen around a track. The girls want to give it a try. Ande's dad, Mr. Don says that if the girls want to hang out with the boys, then they need to play like the boys. Ande gets to go first and has an old football helmet none too gently placed on her head. She holds on for dear life and makes it intact. As Ande dismounts my wife, Adrienne, notices that Tara had the smarts to leave when everyone was distracted. Adrienne was not happy. She was forcibly placed on the passenger side of the go-cart and the dirty old helmet crammed on her head. She was so angry she forgot to hold on and was thrown from the go-cart on the first turn and got a busted lip and scraped stomach for her trouble. I laughed mentally, I have been married to this woman for nine years and can picture this perfectly in my head. I didn't laugh out loud because I know what happened to the unfortunates that did so way back when.

1 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Blogger Russ Fitzgerald said...

Great story! Somehow, go-carts just go with "Knoxville Moment" stories like grits and gravy ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home