Tuesday, April 18, 2006

COFFEE!!!



One of my few vices, coffee. Not the best picture, but I think it shows well enough. I love strong coffee. Not Mac(insert fastfood joint here) has strong coffee, but walk into a coffee shop and get, "you want what?!" coffee. When I say I like strong coffee, I mean I like coffee dark, rich, and thick. Yes, I said thick. I like the feel of strong coffee like hot syrup. I like to roll it in my mouth before I swallow. I acquired the taste for strong coffee after my daughter was born. She was a colicky baby. We would put her down at 7:00, she would wake up at 10:00 and scream until 2:00am. I would get up at 4:00 and drive 96 miles in the dark. I would make a pot of coffee when I got in the office and dare anyone to touch it. The second pot I would share and the coffee started to get stronger and stronger. No one in my office likes me to make coffee. I did once and my supervisor had to go home to lay down, wuss. The coffee at my office is not coffee, it taste like they soaked a brown paperbag in warm water and squeezed the the nasty liquid into a cup. Add artificial sweetener, not the good stuff saccharine, and nondairy creamer, and viola........Shudder.....Cringe. I don't even like to think about it. That's why I bring my own. There was once this coffee shop in Greenwood located in an old church, I would get the French press for one. I would tell the person behind the counter the darkest roast you have, I was partial to one called scorned woman, make it as strong as humanly possible and when you think you will make it undrinkable and another scoop. The first time the young lady did as I asked and handed me the coffee press as if it was a bomb about to go off or a venomous snake ready to strike. "I think I made it too strong", she said with a slight cringe. I sat down worked the plunger and poured it into a glass mug. It was dark and thick. I took a sip as everyone at the table stared in disbelief. It was perfect. Russ Fitzgerald shook his head, chuckled, and said, " You need to ride a fixed gear, you have the personality for it." He was right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home