Friday, June 09, 2006

Thursday Night Ride

Last night I did my first Thursday night ride of the season. The B team left early while the rest of us chit chatted, Stephen Shenal mentioned the physical for his new job and mentioned that his "boys" are in good shape, TMI, TDMI. We left out of the parking lot and formed up, sort of. At the first county sign a few miles later all the racer types took off like mad. After that things got much less formal. We didn't keep a real paceline going, and the speed was less than I remembered from last year, not that I'm complaining. I was just waiting for the hammer to drop. I mentioned this to Joshua and he agreed with me, things were a little more laid back than usual. We hit the first big climb before turning on Stevens Rd. and I kept up,yeah me. Shortly after we caught the B team and they jumped on the back of the paceline that was just beginning to form. Jim Cox made a comment about me keeping up with the fast guys and I said that I was going to hold on for as long as I can. We turned on Hwy 20 and the speed shot up. I was holding my own, but the surges as the guy in front of me slowed and sped up to stay on the wheel of the guy infront of him got to be too much. I could not find a rhythm. I had been used to riding solo, or pulling. I also had too much bar-b-que for lunch. I got dropped a couple of miles from the turn on 185. Mark, the guy behind me, passes me and tries unsuccessfully to catch the group, sorry. I turn on 185 and suck down a gel and find my groove. I pass Mark and he hopes on my wheel. We ride down 185 at 22- 25 mph, it felt good. At the next turn where 203 and 185 come together I bonked again and lost my rhythm. Did I mention I ate too much bar-b -que for lunch? We hit the hill after the bridge and that's when I just blew up, the bar-b-que didn't help. Mark said he would pull a while and I told him I would try to hold on. He was surprised by my comment after I pulled as fast as I did, but I was hurting. Note: never go to a bar-b-que buffet for lunch on Thursdays. I suffered until I turned on Dixie, then I found that rhythm, We Will Rock You, by Queen. I shifted into the big ring and got down in the drops and pedaled to Queen. We cruised down Dixie Rd. at 23mph. When we got to the end to turn on Deadfall I was feeling the remnants of my lunch, I shouldn't have had bar-b-que. I'm just glad I had only one plate. We stop for traffic and to catch our breath, then left. I was a little slower, running out of steam, but as we turned on Calhoun for the last stretch, I was able to get back up to 22 and hold it. I pulled in the parking lot as most of the faster group was leaving. Mark had an average of 18.5, but he had left a few minutes ahead of me, so I had some where just over 19 for the 35 miles or so. Not bad for my first Thursday night ride. I would have done better if I hadn't had bar-b que for lunch though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home