Sunday, April 30, 2006

A. R. P. In Due West

Friday afternoon all the A.R.P. Cyclist who ride with the Greenwood Cycling Club meet in Due West for a photo for the A.R.P. Magazine. For those who don't know what A.R.P. means, it's, if I remember correctly, associate reformed presbryterian. The group consisted of Jim Cox, Bill and Andrew Evans, David Craig, Larry and Landon(The Silent Killer)I apologize, but I can't recall there last name. Well, we meet in Due West, a small college town for the photos and we chatted a bit in the parkinglot as we waited for the photographer. When the photographer showed up we posed for some pix with Erskine College in the background. Then he wanted some action shots and we all rode down this quiet street toward him as he snapped away. After a couple of takes he wanted us to turn a corner at a decent speed and "Coast through", I laughed to myself because I was riding my fixed gear and coasting was not an option. At one point as we made the turn I was just a tad crowded by Landon and zipped by the photographer, missing him by mere inches. He yelped and jumped up like he had been hit and then opted for a more sedate photo of all of us infront of the science building. After we decided to put the nice weather to good use and went for a ride. We started out though town and ended up on part of the Ware Shoals Roubiax ride. It was a nice conversational pace, but since I haven't been on the bike much I wanted to pick up the pace. At the end of the road we turned around and I nearly had a Bluebird tangled in my spokes as she fled an overly amorous male. Shortly after we passed Strawhorne Rd. I had to stretch my legs and took off down the road. I dropped into the aerobars and thought how great it felt to be on the bike. I had recently placed the 14 tooth sprocket on the back, giving me a 77 inch gear and the bike wanted to run. I stopped at the four way to wait for everyone and practiced my track stand. Shortly Landon and David Craig appeared with Larry and Jim soon behind(Bill and Andrew had already ridden for the day and Andrew had a race the next day). We all regrouped ad took the Wynona cemetery route as Jim suggested. Jim has a way of taking a name and butchering it until it is unrecognizable, so don't look for the cemetery on a map. The route was more of the slower ride, nice and comfortable. I kept an eye on Landon, I'd heard good things about him and wanted to see what he is made of. At one point Landon was on David's wheel, close, very close. As the distance grew shorter their wheels touched with a whizzing noise and Landon simply eased back a little. We were eventually dumped out on hwy 178 and turned right to Donalds. I knew where we were then and how to get back. I saw Jim slip off to the front and a town sign up ahead. I jumped, after checking traffic, and passe Jim to win the sign. I looked over my shoulder to see if Landon had made a try for the sign. He was pretty far back, but appeared to be in full sprint. I took a right on 184 and back to Due West. I was moving along at a good clip and dropped into my aerobars. I looked over my shoulder and Landon was still far back but still in sight. I was averaging about 21 down this stretch of road and decided to sit up and let Landon catch up. Shortly he's on my wheel and I pick up the pace. Then I see something out of the corner of my eye, I think i's Landon trying to sprint infront, but it turns out to be David Craig coming out of nowhere and passing us at around 25 mph. I give chase and soon see the sign for Due West. I sprint by David to take the sign, though I don't think he wanted it that badly. When we all met up in the parking lot Jim started giving Landon and me a hard time for going after the sign on 178. Apparently Larry wanted an impression to be made on his son about checking traffic before you pass on a sprint. All in all I had a great ride and got in nearly 22 miles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home