Sunday, September 24, 2006

Sunday Rides


Last Sunday I did the MTB ride from the rock to fell camp and back, it was the first of the season for me. It was a good ride and the trails were in good shape, except for the horse taters. The ride evolved into a rousing game of dodge the tater. On the way back from fell we passed a couple of guys and they asked where the trail ended. It turns out these guys are teachers at one of the local schools and fresh out of college. Russ and I stopped at Memorial Bridge to take a quick break and the teacher guys passed us and continued on. Russ and I were the only two, in our group on singlespeeds, and we had a good long climb ahead of us. Last season I had trouble with the last section of this climb and was determined not to walk or get off the bike this time. Shortly before the climb we passed the young guys and continued on, slogging up the climb. As I crested the last bit, very steep, I let out a whoop and peddled on. Shortly after I heard Russ with his incredible Hulk yell as he hit the steep part, no cursing, so I thought he made it and he did. As we rode I asked Russ if he thought the two guys we passed noticed they were being passed by two guys on single speeds. "Yeah, two older guys on single speeds", Russ said and we, of course, laughed. "Better yet, one a former cardiac patient". We both thought that was even better. Shortly after we noticed the yellow Publix balloon by the trail. "The ferral balloon, once it reaches a certain age loses its ability to fly and must face the dangers of the forest floor." I said in my best announcer voice and Russ posed nearby with said balloon.

We then left the balloon to it's destiny and continued on to the Rock. We discussed our mountain bikes and various upgrades we are planning on, I need a new crankset and bottom bracket, and Russ is wanting to get rid of the chain tensioner. I hope the trails are in good shape Tuesday, cuz I want to ride.

There has been some talk about an epic ride next Sunday October 1st. Starting at the 505/506 trail head and going all the way to Fell and back by way of Gratin's Bridge. Barring any emergencies, I'll be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home